Really, Nolichucky West is me, Anne.
When I was about ten years old my mother bought me a subscription to a craft-of-the-month club. On the day my package arrived in the mail I would set up a big tray in the family room and become enchanted by my project. I wouldn’t notice my two brothers wrestling at my feet and would ignore being beaned in the head by a whiffle ball. I’m pretty sure my mother would make me eat and go to bed on time but I had found what made me tick; creating, making things, working with my hands.
I’m still like that. I can ignore the world around me, forget dinner, and would rather stay up extremely late than not have an opportunity to make something.
I grew up and still live in the Sonoran desert. It’s beautiful, I’m surrounded by mountains and three out of four seasons here are amazing. But I always felt I should live in the forest, so we travel there often. I allow my small garden to grow over the paths and wind around the arbors. In the spring time it reminds me a bit of The Secret Garden, one of my favorite books.
I was a teacher, no I think I will always be a teacher, if we ever walk past a bug I will pick it up and ask you to look closely. I taught the littlest ones and there was never a day with out wonder.
I’m a wife, mother, grandmother, with many life-long friends. I was blessed with amazing parents and a family heritage that resonates quiet strength. I wouldn’t have the confidence to start this blog with out their support.
I have a home I love. Sometimes it looks like a preschool classroom, sometimes it’s resembles a museum. I consider maintaining and decorating my home as one of my hobbies.
I’m camera shy. I just googled,” Self portraits that don’t really show what you look like. ” I’ll let you know what I discover.
I consider creating a necessity. I have learned a lot over the years and consider it a priority to continue learning.
Now that I have retired from full time teaching I have some different goals for the future in mind:
- Continue to learn and remain enthusiastic about improving my mind and craft.
- To actually make all of the things I have pinned on my Pinterest craft and tutorial board (There’s hundreds). Especially the items involving a scroll saw.
- Memorize all of the lyrics to all of the songs and be able to sing them with gusto (like James Corden in “Car Pool Karaoke”) while I am driving alone in my car and not worry about what the driver next to me at the stop light thinks.
- Lose track of time while exploring the garden, beach, and forest with my grandchildren.
- Catch up on reading all the books I have wanted to read for the last 35 years.
- Learn to be a blogger. I have a renewed respect for writers and photographers!
- Spend all day with all of my supplies on a big tray in the family room enchanted by a project and not stop until I am finished.
When you read this blog this is what you will find:
- The story of my Etsy shop and how it came to be. I’ll show you how I care for the vintage items there and how I’ve created some of the handmade goods.
- Tutorials for crafts and projects I have tried.
- Comments on meaningful books I have read.
- Resources I’ve found for life-long-learning.
- Thoughts and inspiration on navigating one of life’s transitions.
Thank you for your time. I hope you will visit again.